Tuesday 1 February 2011

10 Typographic Designers...

Alan Kitching.
Alan kitchen uses a lot of mixed media in his typography pieces. I think they are all ver effective but mostly this one. I think the way smaller typography comes together to form larger letters is a lot more effective. I really like the colours used and the texture inside of the letters, it almost looks as if the type is made of brusho, and i think even if it was and then a clipping mask made around each letter it would be very successful.


Mike Perry.
I dont really get excited about the work of Mike Perry. However I think the simplicity works in the form of colour but all of the black lines seem to blend together and its really hard to distinguish each letter. I think perhaps if the design was in colour it possibly would be easier to understand. 






Neville Brody.






I absolutely love the simplicity of the work of Neville Brody. I think the simplicity of the shapes are extremely effective as well as the pastel toned colours mixed with some of the illumines tones of the greens and bright oranges. I think overall the typeface looks amazing and it all comes together really well.



David Carson.
I really like the look of the work of David Carson. I think his typefaces are very successful and obviously make him a lot of money but I think overall they are very attracting. I think the way they are positioned on a document is very important and I think they need to be used at a specific time and only when necessary as I think they really could be wrongly used and overused. 


Herb Lubalin.

I really love the work of Lubalin. I think his typefaces are very illustrative and beautiful however they are very hard to read and the legibility isn't really top form. I think the look Lubalin in going for has to be very different and special because it looks nothing like what i've seen before. I think his work looks a little bit like Si Scotts with the swirls etc just not to that extreme that he does.


Eric Gill.
Im not too sure if i like the work of Gill or not. I think because all of the fonts he made are so old now none of them are very fashionable. However, I can really imagine this font to have been very successful back when it was created because if actually does look quite modern now and up to date so back then it would have been very trendy. I don't think the typeface could be use in a newspaper however but I do think it would be good on a poster of flyer, something not as formal.


Robert Brown John.
I really like the work of BrownJohn. I think its very successful and looks really current even thought it was created a number of years ago. I think it could be used really well in a form of poster and would look really modern and i think its still very easy to read and understand what the word says. However I don't think you would be able to read full paragraphs of this type.


Stefan Sagmeister

I love this typography piece. I think the way the typeface varies a lot is very successful and the fact that no letter is ever the same is very different. I think the way Sagmeister produced this piece of work is amazing and the way the type takes shape around the face works really well. On the other hand i think it is really hard to read some of the smaller type but that may well be the style he was trying to meet because it is still really successful.


Si Scott.
I adore the work of Si Scott. He has been someone I aspire to work like and how easy all of his ideas come to mind. His typography work is absolutely amazing and every piece is some what different to each other and very 'solo'. I really like this piece of typography as its all pattern based and i think the fact its in black and white makes it look very sleek and cool. I think looking at it in this size it isn't too hard to read but then when trying to read it at a smaller size the legibility isn't really at its best. 


Matthew Carter
Im not overly keen on the work of Carter. I do think its ver legible and simple but I don't think the typeface looks very modern. I think because the typeface was created so long ago it would have worked well back then but now i don't think it does. 


No comments:

Post a Comment