Tuesday 10 May 2011

Space bar



I was asked to design a logo for ‘Space Bar’ in Newcastle College. This was a really hard brief to work with because the whole building had been wasted for so long and had no brand or anything in the whole establishment. I started with some name generation exercises and put every name that popped into my head onto paper and went through a process of elimination. I decided to work with the name ‘Wasted Space’ I think its very appropriate but I still decided to create a logo using just the name space in case the client didn’t like the name. My initial ideas seemed to be images of space and images of food and drink etc but don’t seem to work very well. I then looked at typography that will suit the bar as I didn’t want anything to obvious and I decided that that look that would suit ‘Space Bar’ best would be the very contemporary and modern. I started with some initial scamps and put everything down on paper before I started on the Mac. I decided to look more into the work of designers like Si Scott and the way he works with typography creating everything very modern however it all looked a little bit too over the top so I went back to basics and decided upon a very simple typeface with a box around it to tie everything in together. I developed the idea over and over again and came up with my final idea. The next thing I had to look at was a colour pallet that would suit the contemporary look I was going for. I went with a soft blue pallet that really seemed to complement the typography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment